Monday, January 12, 2015

Summer Days Starry Nights - FICTION

A famous rock star, a family secret and a boy with a great smile make for one unforgettable summer. 

It's 1962, and thirteen-year-old Reenie Starr comes alive the minute guests begin to arrive at her family's summer resort. She dreams of the day she can run Sandy Shores, and she spends her time helping out at the resort, swimming, climbing trees, and singing under the stars.

One day, Reenie's mother announces that she thinks the resort could use some entertainment. She invites Gwen, her best friend's almost-grown daughter, to come and teach a dance class. Although Gwen seems sad and remote, Reenie's thrilled to have her there.

As Reenie starts to learn more about the world beyond Sandy Shores, she comes up with a plan that could really put it on the map. She also finds herself caught between the simpler world of her childhood and all of the wonderful new discoveries (boys) and heartaches (boys) that growing up can bring. Reenie thought she wanted Sandy Shores to never change, but after this summer nothing will ever be the same again.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth 7B
    I really find that this book relates to many teens and their lives. I found this book okay but I could not really relate to the happenings. I found it really cool that Gwen and Rennie are really sisters. I think this book also really touches on the fact that most girls around elementary and high school look up to other prettier, richer or "cooler" girls.This book was well illustrated. I could relate to the fact that Rennie would try to make things better or make a plan to help out around Sandy Shores and often times it would become ruined like the time she invited Johnny Skins to come to Sandy Shores for a performance and it all went wrong.
    I would rate this book a 7/10. I'm rating it that way mainly because I was not very drawn to or connected to this book and it's characters but overall it was still a great book that would relate to most teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liam 7B
    I would give this book a 4/10.
    I found no way to relate to the story except for how much Reenie like the outdoors, which is unimportant to the plot-line. The book send good messages but it was not an interesting story until the very end when you find out about how Gwen is Reenie's half sister. I also think that Vikki VanSickle gave rock and roll music an overly prominant roll in the plot. Jhonny Skins was also very stereotypical. I could not relate to the whole night life stuff and did not enjoy sunny days starry nights.

    ReplyDelete